Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Today's topic, Taxes.  OK, I have to wax political.  You don't have to like what I say, but just know I am right.  I say this with conviction.  I don't claim to be the smartest in the world, but that doesn't mean I have no sense.  In the South, having sense is often more important than smarts.  Who cares if you are smart if you can't figure your way out of a paper bag?

So, taxes.  With all the Occupy Wall Street crap, and our President wanting to level the playing field it is a wonder my head hasn't exploded.  Which is good that it hasn't, no one I know well wants to clean my gray matter from the floor and ceiling.

First, raising taxes on the rich to "help" the poor.  There are many arguments out there for and against.  I don't really have an argument as much as a realistic point of view.  I bear no ill will toward the rich and get irritated with the under tone of the media conversation that some how the rich got that way by nefarious means.  I know there are cheaters out there.  Again, I am not stupid.  However, I don't believe for even a moment that all the rich are rich because they steal the wealth from others. At the same time, I am very aware that they live good lives and can afford things that most of us wish for or dream about. 

 Here is my point of view.  They are used to the lives they have built. The rich will not just give up their profit margins.  They pass the loss of revenue on to me and you.  We pay more for clothes, food, gas, hotels, cars, vacations, shoes, beauty treatments (had to work Hair in the conversation) etc the list is endless.  What ever they loose by paying higher taxes they will pass on to the consumer.   So, in the end we pay their higher taxes.  Surely, I am not the only one who understands this?

I am for a flat tax that would be simple and easy.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is so controversial when it makes so much sense.  No tax loop holes or deductions.  I like 10%, at least as an example.  You make a 1,000,000 dollars you pay 100,000 dollars, you make 100,000 you pay 10,000 dollars, you make 50,000 dollars you pay 5,000 dollars.  Simple, simple, simple.  I didn't have to take more than a few seconds to figure out all the math.  Why does that scare people so badly? Why do they argue it isn't fair? 

I think the answer is they aren't interested in fair.  So, here are my questions for the people fighting for fairness. When has it ever been fair to take what is not yours?   Who gets to decide who is rich? Who gets to decide who deserves what?  I am confident that the people who would make the decisions aren't any more altruistic or honest than the so called evil rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment