Friday, December 20, 2013

Today's topic, Being Prepared.  I keep seeing all the shows about being prepared for a doomsday.  There may indeed be a doomsday and I try to be prepared.  These preppers stockpile food, fuel, water, guns and ammo. They fear the end of the world and what it means for them.  I am not against their right to do so.  Who knows, they may out survive us all. 

My dad, a man I respect more than almost anyone else, is a quasi prepper.  He has food and water, guns and ammo etc. but he isn't extreme.  He feels that the world is coming to an end and he fears it will be BAD, BAD and that he must be able to defend and protect his family from all comers.  Who can fault his desire keep us safe?  I can't.  If you do then keep it to yourself or we will fight.  Which, frankly, neither of us want.  And come on, how school yard to fight over someone else's right to fight?  That would be silly. 

My dad at various stages has done all kinds of food prep.  He would think to put some food, water, and blankets in our van in case we were stuck somewhere in harsh weather conditions. And that, with dependability of our van always in doubt, was a smart move.  I have eaten my share of dried eggs, when I say my share I mean all my share, they are disgusting and I don't eat them anymore.  I have also had plenty of powdered milk.  My parents used to buy whole milk and cut it with powdered to make it last longer.  They canned fruits and vegetables, cracked wheat and had other food stuffs that we ate. We kept a garden and I miss that part of food prep.  My mom would say go pick some squash, or tomatoes, beans etc. for dinner.  I really miss the fresh vegetables literally from garden to table.

I, myself, also prep.  I have food and water storage, which in hind sight my dad wouldn't want me to disclose because you might come and through force of arms take my food in a crisis.  Of course, most of you live too far away and in the apocalyptic scenario my father envisions you wouldn't be able to afford the fuel to get here.  So, I guess I am OK on that front.  I just wiped the sweat from by brow now that the fear has left me.

People tend to focus on a doomsday outcome.  Though I prep, I  consider myself an any day prepper.  Any day I could suffer a major injury, loose my job, etc.  Isn't it smart to think ahead and be prepared with a little extra?  How can that be bad?  The worst thing that happens is you have extra.  So, I see nothing wrong with being prepared for any day. 

I remember, years ago, hearing a woman speaking about such preparedness.  She, her husband and children had just moved to a new area for her husband's new job.  And just a few months later the company made cuts and he was out of work.  She didn't speak about fear or how bad things were but rather about how happy she was to have been prepared.  She had put aside not just the essentials of food and water, but had put aside things to make treats.  She had thought ahead and put aside chocolate chips, nuts and such.  Come on, who feels deprived while eating a chocolate chip cookie?  I am assuming they didn't have to eat it with a cup of powdered milk.  That would sort of take the shine off the idea.

Recently, I attend a conference on trauma.  I found it very interesting and felt that I learned a lot.  One of the speakers was from the government.  He is head of emergency preparedness and served for Bush and Obama.  He spoke about national preparedness and I could tell he was passionate in his endeavor to think about the what ifs, particularly catastrophic incidents and how to prevent loss of life.  As I listened I couldn't help but think that what if we were more individually prepared?  I don't think that we can foresee or be prepared for everything.  But, everyone of us could have a 72 hour kit for every one in our home an emergency plan for our family.  I have a 72 hour kit, but will admit to you that it needs updating.  There are many websites to go to in order to figure what you need.  They range from simple to elaborate.  I was going to put some in but feel that would be inappropriate.  I don't advocate any.  I just advocate being prepared.  So, if you have interest in a 72 hour kit please peruse the web.


Seriously, any moment of any day our lives could change in way we don't expect.  Any day we could face challenges that we have no idea are on our horizon.  Don't let the doomsday preppers put you off the idea of Any Day.  And if you and I are prepared for any day the resources from churches, the government  and other charitable entities can go further because we are taken care of.  Admit it, Any Day sounds so much nicer if we can face it with out fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment