Saturday, September 29, 2012

Today's topic, Traveling.  I have traveled more than some, less than others.  I driven coast to coast, up and down this great country and love to see the differences and the sameness we have to offer. 

First, let me talk about how some drivers need to get places so quickly.  I, too, want to get places quickly.  I really do. I have what some refer to as a lead foot.  I feel that I am a good driver, definitely a good driver.  But, I am not crazy.  I may be a good driver, but I cannot depend on the drivers around me to be the same.  I am amazed at how more, for lack of a better word, bold drivers seem to think that everyone drives at their level.  The get so close, and weave around the other cars on the road assuming that the other drivers won't make a decision that could cause a horrific wreck. You will note that I don't use the word accident.  It would be no accident.  One tap on the brakes, or foot off the accelerator or deciding to move from one lane to the next would end in disaster.  Yet, the bold drivers seem to think they know what they are doing.  I would agree with that, they know what they are doing.  Unfortunately, they don't know what anyone else is doing.  Maybe that slower moving car has an inexperienced driver, or a driver concerned with answering their phone, quieting the kids, changing the channel on the radio, looking over the scenery, etc.  There are so many variables that are uncontrolled.  Maybe, it gives the bold driver a thrill to take the risk of not knowing what the other driver may or may not do or react.  Or maybe, the bold driver is an idiot.  I will go with the idiot idea.  And it is the same in any state or region the sameness of idiots is apparent.

Secondly, let us talk about how beautiful our country is, even in it's differences.  The skylines of large cities, compared with the rolling spaces of rural areas.  Both have so much to offer.  In my opinion the large cities have nonstop action.  There is something seductive about the go, go, go mentality.  Always something to do, somewhere to go, some fun to be had and it doesn't end, ever. 
Then, you have the wide open spaces offered by less developed areas.  The trees, rolling hills, gurgling streams that call to us in a different way. Yet, they can be equally seductive.  The pull of peaceful, beautiful spaces filled with fresh air and sunshine calls to us too.

I find that I like the offerings of big cities and rural communities.  I guess that is why I see my self as a suburbanite.  I like the quiet of rural areas, but want access to the action of a city.  What to do?  Live in suburbia. 

I digress, back to traveling.  I love to take driving trips, I love to see the beauty offered around the county myself.  I love to learn about what is common here or there.  For instance, I was surprised that my mom had never had a cannoli.  Then, I thought about it.  She is from the South, where you are more likely to eat banana pudding.  I wonder how many routine cannoli eaters have never had banana pudding?

Sometimes, I forget that even though we are all Americans and all live in the greatest nation the world has ever seen, we are so different regionally.  Sorry, that so many of my analogies are food related but it is an easy way to point out how we are different.  Barbecue, Carolina barbecue, in my opinion, is the best barbecue you can eat.  You look a state or two over and they are eating a completely different kind.  It is made with beef, not port, sweet, not savory.

Tea, I don't even drink tea, but am very aware of how stunned people from the North are when they come to the South and get iced tea with their meal.  They aren't prepared for the sweet tea that is served.  I guess that Southerners are also shocked when they get tea, plain unsweetened tea with their meal in the North.  I thankfully, don't have to worry about that.  I am drinking water or soda. Of, course depending where you are the water can be a real issue too.

I have driven through some small towns and large cities.  I remember a trip through small towns in Michigan.  Population less than 3000.  It seemed the sidewalks were rolled up at 6pm, the grocery stores closed, every thing would be closed and all good people in their homes with the blinds, you guessed it, closed.  I had never seen anything like it.  Then, of course I have done driving though big cities with their narrow streets, never ending traffic and scarce parking.  I was able to participate in moving day in Boston.  Moving truck after moving truck, up and down all the narrow streets, with all the students from all the colleges trying to move from one place to the next all on the same weekend.  I have never seen anything like that either.  It is such an event, the year I was there, a documentary was being made to record the phenomenon.

Something I have found is that it doesn't matter where you are, there are lovely, kind people all over.  They want to help and care about you.  Big city, small town, people are people.  Kind, loving, flawed.  Sure there are some bad people out there.  But there are more of the good ones.  The ones who will go out of their way to help someone in need.  How grateful I am, since I seem to get lost so easily and wind up depending on the kindness of strangers more than my fair share.   

No comments:

Post a Comment